Saturday, December 15, 2007

What music is best to write to?

For me it depends on the mood I need to get in. I love soundtracks. Man from Snowy river always transports me to mountains and horses. Gladiator = fighting. Some of the others are Braveheart to just get in the mood to think fantasy, Conan (movie 1) soundtrack for a feeling of just power, Lord of the Rings for sweeping battle scenes. Riverdance for a Celtic kind of mood.(as well as the Celtic Women whenever I need to get out of a bad mood). I also will listen to Clannad whenever I want to work on my Robin Hood story.
I will pay close attention when we go to a show on how the music and the feeling of the scene goes together. One of the best is Pirates 1, the first time we see Jack Sparrow. This song is repeated in the 3rd movie with a similar scene(bigger ship) and the same music strain. Yeah I notice those things.
In my head I have several scenes I have written or plan to write that have specific music that goes with them. One is the song “Conquistador” by Maynard Ferguson. It involves a wedding, the bride being stolen on dragon back and then the brides true love chasing after her on his own winged mount.(not sure if it is a dragon or he has wings himself) the music just fits. Oh yeah, theme from Rocky is another great image from the film that will always stick with that music. You can hear the trumpets now can’t you. You can see him dancing on the top of those stairs. I though so, you all have your own music that goes on in your heads.

0 comments: