Friday, December 21, 2007

Driving in Mexico


Well, Juarez has been interesting. Last night as I was headed back toward the border and the hotel I got pulled over for speeding. Now any one that knows me knows that I do not speed…I was going slower than the other cars by me but being in a bright shining new car I got from the rental place and being extremely American looking, I got pulled over. I only had 5 bucks on me so could not talk my way out of it. (If I had 10 or 20 I would not be posting now). Well, here in Mexico, they not only give you a ticket but take your license as well. I can go to the police station with 50 bucks and get my license back or do what others before me have done and forget about it and get a new license when I get home. My picture is a bit out dated since I still have my beard in it and it is 6 years old. So I guess I will have to go get a new one next week. Very sad that I didn’t think to pack more cash on me just for this type of problem.

Driving down here is crazy anyway. The rules you usually think are in place are only suggestions here. All the cars have dents and dings in them. As you head to the bridge that goes across the borader you have to watch people cutting in and out of the slow moving traffic. Not to mention the people selling stuff standing in the middle of the road. One guy had a sign saying he was deaf and blind. I saw him as he walked by the line I was in carrying his sign and looking around. About ½ a mile further there he was holding up the sign with thick glasses on and holding out his cup. Whole families work the bridge. Some have their kids begging others are selling candy or trinkets etc. Needless to say it is an experience.

3 comments:

Laurie Jo said...

I can't believe you actually got a ticket! That's really funny.

Natalie said...

um, yes you were speeding - you were just going the slowest on the road... thats why he caught you!

Heidi said...

At least it wasn't in Canada... eh?