Thursday, July 3, 2008

Old man thoughts while driving

Yesterday on the drive home from work I got thinking on Jo's post about the review of her life so far. While I am not going to do the same it got me thinking on what I have learned so far.
Quick Review:

Raised in Bountiful Utah.
Band geek in High school
Active in LDS Church
Served 2 year mission in Australia
Married 12 years
3 kids
3 miscarriages
Divorced
Married again a few years later (almost 11 years now)
Dealt with infertility the whole time
Worked/waited 3 years for adoption
Placed with Maggie 5 months ago

I have been fired from jobs and had to fire people.
I have had 2 companies close their doors. (Both with my wife and I working there)
Spent 7 months unemployed
Know what it is like to be passed over for promotions due to friends or family needing jobs.
I have been a janitor as well as the big boss.
Spent time as phone rep as well as a collector.
Have sat and worried where money is going to come from to pay bills.
Have looked at a budget to only find rent and child support being paid (no money for food, car, gas power etc)
I have seen my grand parents pass away as well as great grand parents
Had a friend die from cancer
Neighbor form suicide
Served in Church as a teacher, clerk, young men's, Bishopric and High Council
I remember black and white TV with only 4 channels
Remember when Sesame Street started
Remember when the Monkees were the biggest thing around.

Through all this I have come to realize that there are certain truths that have stayed with me:
1. Life is never so bad that you should not find something to smile about.
2. There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a baby’s laugh
3. There is beauty in every sunset and magic in every rainbow
4. No other success is more important than what happens with your family
5. There is no job or title more important than “Dad” and “Husband”
6. True happiness and joy come form your family and your God
7. Only you know if you are truly honest.

Years ago 1993 to be exact, I wrote the following mission statement for a class with the Covey group. I said then that it needs to be on my funeral program. I still think it applies.

It is in a previous post dated Jan 2, 2008 on this blog

Just a few thoughts from someone who has been around awhile…

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Just came across your blog and I love this post! It is all so true. Thanks for sharing these wonderful thoughts. You and my "geek" husband would get along wonderfully!! LOL