Saturday, January 5, 2008

Daily Writing (The roof is leaking)

Last night we got a big, wet storm that hit. This morning after shoveling the snow I came in to find the swamp cooler leaking. This had leaked before but I thought I had fixed it. (Of course Nat was very kind in how she pointed this out) So I climbed up on the roof, moving snow out of my way as I made my way to the Swamp cooler. I was almost within reach of it (about 1 inch short) when I started sliding. (remember wet slushy snow and roof slopes do not work well together) I pushed my trusty broom down to help stop me sliding only to have it break. Well the thought that ran through my mind as I slide toward the patio roof that was never going to hold my weight was. "You didn't write yesterday" Several days ago I read a short story about Michael McLean a LDS Song writer that I love. He said that 25 years ago when he started to write songs he decided to write a song a day. Some were great, most stunk but he wrote daily. Every class or book I have taken or read about writing says we need to write daily. (My grateful blog doesn't count) I agreed with it and decided myself to rededicate myself to writing daily. So here I am sliding toward the edge of a rotting patio roof that I had started to tear down last summer and this is all that I can think of. Then the thought went through my mind "I hope the dog isn't out I don't want to land on her" Well I stopped sliding, picked up my broken good for nothing no longer trusty broom, and made my way off the roof.

When I went back up later to fix(hopefully) the leak (at least for the mean time) I used a nice metal pole.
Point of the story is...I am now starting to write something on my book idea as soon as I log off of here. (Then I have to go clean the basement).

1 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh... you think of the dog before you think of your wife? Or better yet, the only thing you think about as you plummet to your death is that you didnt write anything yesterday! Give me a break. Jeez.